The Arab village of Kfar Kana is located in the Lower Galilee, about 10 km from Nazareth with 23,000 habitants. It is known in in Christian terms as Cana of the Galilee where ,according to the Bilble – New Testament , Jesus performed the miracle of the wine, when he went to a wedding of a poor couple and turned water into wine.
In the 17th century Kfar Kana was officially recognized by the Vatican, and the pope officially confirmed that Kafar Kana is indeed Cana of the Galilee. Following this recognition the village was added to the most important list of Christian holy places.
In the center of the village there are a few remains of ancient buildings and burial caves. The villagers have built new houses in the southeast and northeast of the ancient village. The most important site in the village is the Catholic Church, built in 1879, on the traditional site of the miracle of the wine, at least according to Franciscan tradition. The Franciscans settled here in 1641 and began building the present church over an older church in 1879. It was consecrated in 1883. Beneath the sacristy of the present Franciscan Church, remains of dwellings were found dating back to the 1st century and an ancient basilica with three apses in cross-like form. In a crypt a small stone cistern was found fitted into a flagstone floor.
The Greek Orthodox Church of St. George is located beside the Catholic Church, it was built in 1886. It houses two stone jars which, according to Greek Orthodox followers, are believed to be the jars in which Jesus performed the miracle of the wine.
There is also a church named Church of St. Bartholomew, built in 1885 in honor of Saint Bartholomew (Nathanael of Cana), one of the twelve apostles and a native of Cana.
Near the churches there is Daher al-Oamr's castle which was built in 1750, and four impressive mosques.
Some 800,000 tourists visit Kafar kana annually. Inspired by the miracle of the wine, a tradition of holding weddings has evolved here as well for renewing wedding vows to strengthen a marriage, and visitors customarily buy wine here.